[Dragaera] Fwd: Moon(s) and Tides (was Re: Jhegaala etc.)

Ken Koester kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov
Fri Jul 18 10:28:53 PDT 2008

Jon Lincicum wrote:

>The other compelling argument for a moon, however, is the presence of life on Dragaera. It is undeniably the case that without the moon on Earth, life could not have evolved here. Not just due to tides, but also because the moon helps stabilize our orbit, and maintain the planet's rotational speed. Without the moon, the axial tilt of earth would long ago have evened out to be perpendicular to the plane of the Solar system, meaning we would not have seasons.

Ah--that is hardly undeniably the case, I believe.  The moon does
nothing to stabilize our orbit; note that Mercury & Venus manage just
fine without moons, & Mars isn't going to see anything noticeable from
Deimos & Phobos.  Even worse, a moon would offer very little protection
from a wandering Jupiter; maybe, as a sort of 3-body problem, but
probably not, considering the disparity of masses.  And far from
maintaining our rotational speed, the moon slows us down by several
milliseconds a year; a day during the age of dinos was considerably
shorter than it is now.  In the distant future, the earth will become
tidally locked to the moon & a "day" will be as long as it takes for the
moon to complete an orbit around the earth.  And I don't see any reason
at all for the axial tilt of the earth to change absent a moon.  It's a
gyroscope, after all, and there aren't any forces operating to change
it, with or without moon--again, check moonless or effectively moonless
planets w/ considerable axial tilts.  And if the axial tilt was zero,
there would still be seasons due to the eccentricity of the ellipse;
they just wouldn't be as pronounced as they are now (& not the
same--you'd get "summer" and "winter" at the same time in both
hemispheres & it would be reversed from what it is now in the northern
hemisphere; our summer currently starts at aphelion).

>There are clearly seasons on Dragaera.  And from observations about planting/harvesting times and such in various books, they appear to be quite similar to ours.

I don't recall winter, however. . . .

Snarkhunter