[Dragaera] Seventeen Maybe Different Jhegaala Spoilers

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sat Jul 19 20:26:46 PDT 2008

alpha
beta
gamma
delta
epsilon
zeta
eta
theta
iota
kappa
lambda
mu
nu
xi
omicron
pi
rho

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Mark Mandel wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> 12. I don't understand how the text snippets get into the Text if
>> Vlad is reading into a box.  Do the Six Parts Water bits reflect Vlad's
>> memory of relevant moments from the play, hence the reference
>> to "merchant" at the end?  AFT, maybe this is a hallucinatory link.
>>

> They're added by Brust the
> translator<http://www.cracksandshards.com/cracks.html#Brusts>,
> possibly in line with the equivalent of marginal notes by Vlad: "By the way,
> the mannerist murder comedy I was thinking of was Miersen's 'Six Parts
> Water'" -- which Brust the T then finds a copy of. Ditto for Oscaani.

This implies that we need to read this material as commentary on Vlad's
account rather than an integral part of it, so one might find the
selections e.g. externally ironic.  The task of interpreting the full
Text is very difficult.

> I really oughtta rent "The Thin Man" and the other Nick and Nora Charles
> movies.

Incidentally, I can't put my hands on my copy of Michael Swanwick's
_Vacuum Flowers_ - can someone confirm to me that the heroine is
sort of named Elizabeth Bright Mudlark?

I've read no Nero Wolfe stories at all.  It's hard to keep up.  I did
read the Assassin series by Robin Hobb recently, which is perhaps of
interest in understanding the Vlad/Loiosh relationship, and maybe even
some of the grimmer sections of _Jhegaala_.