[Dragaera] Jhegaala crack (spoiler)

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 00:56:12 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> Issola p. 104-5.
>>   "Before he knew who he was?"
>>   "Before he knew he was human."
>>   I blinked. "I think you're going to have to explain that."
>>   "I didn't realize you didn't know," said Teldra. "Certainly it is no
>> secret."
>>   "All right."
>>   "The Lord Morrolan was brought to the East, beyond his ancestral
>> homelands, as an infant, just around the time of Adron's Disaster. His
>> parents didn't survive, so he was raised by Easterners. He grew up
>> thinking
>> he was simply an extraordinarily tall Easterner."
>>   "You're kidding!"
>>   "No, my lord."
>>   "Well I'll be--really? He really thought he was human? I mean,
>> Easterner?"
>>   She nodded.
>

> Someone in an earlier thread suggested this is Vlad politely not saying,
> "Yeah, I know that", and furthering the conversation.  But rereading the
> passages you helpfully quote, everything seems perfectly fine.  In
> _Jhegaala_, Vlad says, I heard someone claim x, and that's stupid.  In
> _Issola_, Teldra tells Vlad x, and he's surprised, because, well.

He's not surprised that something he was skeptical of turns out to be
true. The notion of Morrolan not knowing he was human is new to him,
hence "You're going to have to explain that."  He is baffled and THEN
surprised, which is inconsistent with Jhegaala.

-Max

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a
man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.