[Dragaera] Jhegaala crack (spoiler)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 28 00:19:38 PDT 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Maximilian Wilson wrote:

> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
>
> Jhegaala p. 41.
>    "And if a Jhereg--or any Dragaeran--showed up, he'd stand out like Dzur
> Mountain. I'd once been told that my friend Morrolan had been raised
> somewhere in human lands, and hadn't known he was Dragaeran--just thought he
> was a very tall human. I'd never asked him if it were true, but I didn't
> believe it; the differences were too obvious. No, if a Jhereg showed up in
> town, I'd know it."
>
> Issola p. 104-5.
>    "Before he knew who he was?"
>    "Before he knew he was human."
>    I blinked. "I think you're going to have to explain that."
>    "I didn't realize you didn't know," said Teldra. "Certainly it is no
> secret."
>    "All right."
>    "The Lord Morrolan was brought to the East, beyond his ancestral
> homelands, as an infant, just around the time of Adron's Disaster. His
> parents didn't survive, so he was raised by Easterners. He grew up thinking
> he was simply an extraordinarily tall Easterner."
>    "You're kidding!"
>    "No, my lord."
>    "Well I'll be--really? He really thought he was human? I mean,
> Easterner?"
>    She nodded.

Someone in an earlier thread suggested this is Vlad politely not saying,
"Yeah, I know that", and furthering the conversation.  But rereading the
passages you helpfully quote, everything seems perfectly fine.  In
_Jhegaala_, Vlad says, I heard someone claim x, and that's stupid.  In
_Issola_, Teldra tells Vlad x, and he's surprised, because, well.

I've long sustained that the description of Morrolan in the early
Pirodessey is inconsisent with plain sense and must be Sethra having
her little joke.  Maybe Issola's reported conversation shows Vlad
read a draft, or got a preview from Sethra, and decided to continue
on with the fun.

Plus note that re _Jhegaala_ that Vlad is 0) wrong about a Dragaeran being
able to show up without him hearing, as we abundantly learn, making the
whole paragraph you cite deeply ironic, but conversely 1) I think he's
got a good point.