[Dragaera] Cui bono? [_Jhegaala_ spoilers]

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 4 01:04:11 PDT 2008

alpha
bravo
charlie
delta
echo
foxtrot
golf
hotel
india
juliet
kilo
lima
mike
november
oscar
papa
quebec

So one thing that marks a good sequel is that it answers questions
the reader didn't know he or she should have.

Why does Verra send Vlad to Burz, as we learn in _Dzur_?  What does
she get out of it?  [And see another below.]  Speculation follows:

Let's say that Verra knows in some sense that Vlad will run into
a mess in Burz, maybe even that he'll get messed up.  What's in it
for her?  Well, why did Vlad come back to the Empire in the first
place?  One can imagine him having a good time in the East, meeting
relatives and easing the pain (and the drives resulting from it) of
his mother's absence in his childhood, eating good food, maybe settling
down with a nice young woman, maybe coming to rely more on witchcraft
at the expense of his other abilities.  The Burz experience pretty much
guarantees that Vlad will not stay in the East - that he will spend
a long time keeping out of trouble and thinking about [the errors of]
his past, returning tempered and more cautious.  A Vlad who will be
willing to spend the next several years keeping his head down with
the peons like a pawn, until the events of _Issola_ promote him.

Now, the above raises the question, does Verra really plan for
Vlad to make Godslayer?  I don't know that she quite shows that
attitude in _I_ or even _Dzur_.  And can _Athyra_ be argued to
be part of the above?  It was a pretty close shave, and she
isn't so good with the future in _Phoenix_.

[Incidentally, is there a reference to the interrogation in _Teckla_
in _Jhegaala_?  More planning?  More stuff Vlad can be legitimately
furious about when he eventually figures it out?]

Actually, why is Vlad not furious in _Dzur_ about Verra's sending
him to Burz given the above interpretation?