[Dragaera] Another (minor) Jhegaala thought

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Thu Aug 14 07:53:29 PDT 2008

Spoilers

17

16

15

14

13

12

11

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

2

1

When Vlad is talking to the Count about how the Jhereg Assassin figured out
how to talk to Dahni, he suggests that he must have bribed one of the Count's
servants.  He then preemptively tells the Count not to bother figuring out
which servant as (paraphrasd, AFT) "If you paid them enough that they
couldn't be bribed, then they wouldn't be servants."

I can easily see Vlad having such an attitude.  But the Count has a pretty
strong sense of honor.  Not Morrolan-level, to be sure, but strong
nonetheless.  Vlad bets his life on that sense of honor, successfully, and
depends upon it for the final execution of his plans.  (Granted, he
didn't exactly have many other options at that point...)  Someone like
that probably *does* care about which of his servants took a bribe, and
Vlad should know this (especially after the events of _Jhereg_).  Vlad's
statement might delay his investigating the matter, while he deals with more
urgent issues, but I wouldn't expect him to abandon it completely.

Given that I already see this book as a huge mishmash of lies and
misdirection (see earlier post), I wonder if there was anything being
hidden here.  Is there something Vlad knows about the chain of information
that he doesn't want the Count to know until he has safely left town?
(And that he doesn't want the reader to know at all?)

Alexx

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employers.
alexx at panixSPAMBL@CK.com                http://www.panix.com/~alexx
    "Of course this is true for more general values of 5."
[Cambridge University Math Dept.]