[Dragaera] Another (minor) Jhegaala thought

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 14 15:57:19 PDT 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Alexx Kay wrote:

> Spoilers
>
> 17
>
> 16
>
> 15
>
> 14
>
> 13
>
> 12
>
> 11
>
> 10
>
> 9
>
> 8
>
> 7
>
> 6
>
> 5
>
> 4
>
> 3
>
> 2
>
> 1
>

> When Vlad is talking to the Count about how the Jhereg Assassin figured out
> how to talk to Dahni, he suggests that he must have bribed one of the Count's
> servants.  He then preemptively tells the Count not to bother figuring out
> which servant as (paraphrasd, AFT) "If you paid them enough that they
> couldn't be bribed, then they wouldn't be servants."
>
> I can easily see Vlad having such an attitude.

Is this a Vlad circa _Jhereg_ attitude, though?  Or evidence of _Teckla_/
_P_ having affected him?  Or is this Vlad three years later saying what
he would have liked himself to have said at the time?  Maybe there's
something tricky going on along the lines of your hermeneutics, but
I'm stuck on just the exegesis here.

My first guess though is that Vlad just doesn't want any further
excitement (not to mention slaughter) at the moment, and the reply
in question works whether he knows or suspects who the bribee is.

(Maybe the "slaughter" part relates to the known or suspected bribee
being a non-servant Vlad mostly likes, like the kid who almost kills
him at the end, uhh, Meehayi.)