[Dragaera] possible influence on the development of Kragar

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Aug 24 00:33:47 PDT 2008

As far as I can tell, I've never mentioned this on the list,
and a cursory google doesn't turn up a link, and dragaera.info
search didn't return a hit on barnable, and I don't see anything
relevant to the below at Cracks and Shards, so:

At the beginning of John Crowley's _Little, Big_, which came out
in 1981, so perhaps early enough to be an influence on _J_, the
initial central character, Smoky Barnable, befriends a bon vivant.
"In not too long a while, Smoky's anonymity became clothed, like the
Invisible Man in his bandages; people stopped bumping into him on the
street or sitting on his lap in buses without apology--which he had
attributed to his being very vaguely present to most people."  He
meets his friend's family, to whom he is "at least present".  "In
the midst of their arguments, jokes, parties, walkings-out-in-bedroom-
slippers, attempts at suicide and noisy reconciliations, he sat
unnoticed for hours; but then Uncle Ray or Franz or Mom would look
up startled and say, 'Smoky's here!' and he would smile."