[Dragaera] possible influence on the development of Kragar

Michael Wojcik mwojcik at newsguy.com
Mon Aug 25 13:15:57 PDT 2008

Philip Hart wrote:

> [Smoky Barnable in John Crowley's _Little, Big_ is "invisible" like
> Kragar]

Was that just a coincidence, or did you see Kit's post on Dream Café
last week that mentioned _L,B_?

    http://dreamcafe.com/words/2008/08/18/golden-books/

(I admit I hadn't read it myself until I read your message and started
poking around.)

SKZB didn't mention _L,B_ in his reply, unfortunately, or we might
have a Clue.

I'd forgotten that aspect of Smoky's character - it's been many years
since I read _L,B_ - but it is entertainingly similar to how Kragar's
described. On the other hand, it's not so odd an idea that it couldn't
easily have been invented independently.

Another somewhat similar character is Matt Keller, the protagonist of
Larry Niven's _A Gift from Earth_ (1970), who possesses a mutation
that causes other people to temporarily fail to notice him, even to
the extent of forgetting he exists.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus