[Dragaera] possible influence on the development of Kragar

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 25 14:12:18 PDT 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Michael Wojcik wrote:

> Philip Hart wrote:
>>
>> [Smoky Barnable in John Crowley's _Little, Big_ is "invisible" like
>> Kragar]
>
> Was that just a coincidence, or did you see Kit's post on Dream Café
> last week that mentioned _L,B_?
>
>    http://dreamcafe.com/words/2008/08/18/golden-books/

I don't read Dream Cafe - that way lies madness, x-posting, etc. etc.
I was just driving at night recently on a familiar stretch of highway
I don't use anymore since I got married and moved out of the City, and
was taken by a feeling of melancholy that reminded me of _L, B_.  Which
I've reread several times since picking up _Jhereg_ after _TRIH_ back in
the day, hence my surprise at not having noted the possible echo before.

> SKZB didn't mention _L,B_ in his reply, unfortunately, or we might
> have a Clue.

Maybe somebody can ask Him there.

> I'd forgotten that aspect of Smoky's character - it's been many years
> since I read _L,B_ - but it is entertainingly similar to how Kragar's
> described. On the other hand, it's not so odd an idea that it couldn't
> easily have been invented independently.

Smoky's anonymity is (partially?) cured by falling in love.  It would be
amusing if Kragar is cured in a future Text in that manner, esp. since
he's something of a lady killer, or so he hints.