[Dragaera] If the Vlad books were made into a movie...

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Sep 19 15:12:10 PDT 2008

From: "Alexx Kay" <alexx at panix.com>
> > Khaavren appears in /Phoenix/,
>
> In a relatively unimportant background shot, which would be unlikely to
> make it into a movie, or to have a name actor playing the part even if it
> did.

Well, unless it was a cameo of the guy playing the same role in the movie version of the Paarfi books, ala Robert Downy Jr. playing Tony Stark in "Incredible Hulk" this summer. (Ooo... I feel like HE would be a very good Vlad. Short, dark hair, right attitude. I like that one.)

> >Pel is obliquely mentioned in /Orca/,
>
> ???  Please elaborate; I didn't notice that, and I *just* reread that
> book!  Khaavren is actually a fairly significant character, albeit
> entirely offscreen.

It's when Keira is explaining who heads Division Six -- She says it's the "Prime Minister, when there is one, except right now it's the Minister of the Houses."

Last we heard, Pel was Prime Minister, so this, to me, implies that something has happened to Pel.  Okay, it's pretty oblique. Maybe doesn't affect him at all. (If, say, Pel got dismissed 150 years ago and there have been 2-3 other Prime Ministers in the interim.) However, it still does mean that Pel is *NOT* still where we left him at the end of /Sethra Lavode/ by the time of Vlad.

> At any rate, "obliquely mentioned" doesn't make for a likely film appearance.
>
> >and
> > Adron "appears" in /Issola/.
>
> In a form that would certainly be played by CGI, not by an actor.

Well, you might want an actor to play the character in flashbacks. Then you could also texture map the actor's face to appear fleetingly in the amorphia pool ala "The Abyss".