[Dragaera] Some speculation on Spellbreaker

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Fri Sep 26 08:14:21 PDT 2008

> Do we have some real good hints that it's specifically Verra that
> Godslayer will slay?

I want to say that it was Sethra who told Vlad about the legend/prophecy
that Godslayer would kill Verra, but my memory's a bit hazy.

I like to think of it as a "legend" as opposed to a "prophecy", sort of like
how Ragnarok is ostensibly a prophecy but it's really a complete
mythological construction that relates the end of the world and the
establishment of the new world that's created in its wake. The Norse knew in
great detail how everything ends, but they lived their lives as if that
didn't matter or even as if playing their part in the final conflict gave
them a reason to live life to the fullest.

With all of the mucking about in time and space by the Gods, (I've noted
before my theory that one reason the Lords of Judgement are always checking
the Cycle is that they don't actually have a solid reference for the current
time in the Empire otherwise) I find it amusing to think of Verra's end like
that of Asgard - It happens at some indeterminate future time, but those in
the know treat it as if it's already happened or it's an inevitable fact of
life. The implications by the Seroli that Godslayer is broken up in the
future and somehow reassembled in the past is just another piece in the
puzzle.

I guess that wandered rather far afield of the original question...