[Dragaera] Some speculation on Spellbreaker

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Sep 26 09:30:53 PDT 2008

From: "Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com>

> > Do we have some real good hints that it's specifically Verra that
> > Godslayer will slay?
> >

> I want to say that it was Sethra who told Vlad about the legend/prophecy
> that Godslayer would kill Verra, but my memory's a bit hazy.

It was. In /Dzur/.

> I like to think of it as a "legend" as opposed to a "prophecy", sort of like
> how Ragnarok is ostensibly a prophecy but it's really a complete
> mythological construction that relates the end of the world and the
> establishment of the new world that's created in its wake. The Norse knew in

[interesting stuff snipped]

> With all of the mucking about in time and space by the Gods, (I've noted
> before my theory that one reason the Lords of Judgement are always checking
> the Cycle is that they don't actually have a solid reference for the current
> time in the Empire otherwise) I find it amusing to think of Verra's end like
> that of Asgard - It happens at some indeterminate future time, but those in
> the know treat it as if it's already happened or it's an inevitable fact of
> life. The implications by the Seroli that Godslayer is broken up in the
> future and somehow reassembled in the past is just another piece in the
> puzzle.

This has pretty much been my view. The cause/effect relationship with events surrounding Godslayer/Spellbreaker is thrown into amorphia by the influence of forces that exist outside of linear time. Godslayer only exists once, is only created once, is only broken up once--but the elements that were needed for its construction were created during its deconstruction. Ourouboros. It doesn't have to make logical sense, it exists outside causality as we know it, so it doesn't have to obey our universe's normal rules for such things.

> I guess that wandered rather far afield of the original question...

Well, yes, but that's part of the fun.