[Dragaera] Some speculation on Spellbreaker

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Fri Sep 26 09:50:07 PDT 2008

> I think the implication was that Godslayer was broken up in the past  and
> would be made whole in the future...which is now the recent past.
>
> Wondering if Verra did the breaking up in the past and that is why
> Spellbreaker is
> mad at her.

It's difficult to say for sure. Serioli clearly don't view Time in quite the
same way that we do. Witness the exchange between Vlad and the Serioli, in
_Dragon_.
--------
I said, "Would you like to tell me more?"

"The two artifacts [Godslayer and Pathfinder] were, or are to be, created
together ---"

"Excuse me, but is there a simple explanation for this 'were or are to be'
thing?"

"No."

"I didn't think so. All right." I dropped it. Whenever anyone starts talking
about the odd things that time can do, I think about the Paths of the Dead,
and I didn't care to think about that just then.
--------

The Serioli is clearly referring to the original forging of Godslayer and
Pathfinder. Vlad understands it this way also, as well as the idea that it's
simultaneously referring to the past and the future as if they're the same
thing. Whatever the Serioli means, he's talking about a different view on
the passage of time than the linear one that we're accustomed to thinking
about.

It seems to me that Godslayer is probably the only Great Weapon that anyone
ever tried to destroy, let alone have any success at it. We know that the
Lords of Judgement attempted to destroy Godslayer and failed. How or why
they failed is unclear. In the end, they had to settle for dismantling it
and hiding the pieces. If the dismantling occurred in the Halls of Judgement
and the pieces scattered from there, then (from their poit of view) there's
nothing particularly unusual about the pieces ending up hidden in the past,
before the dismantling took place. Indeed, before the original assembly took
place.

Here's my take on things. The metaphysical problems that prevented the
destruction of Godslayer exist because it has never been "reassembled".
There is only one time that Godslayer is created; that is when Vlad does so.
It's a big time loop, sure, but that's what makes it impossible to destroy
it completely. Breaking it up and hiding the pieces in the past is
neccessary so that it can come into existence in the first place.

This could well be wrong, as it doesn't dovetail neatly with the idea that
the Serioli first created Godslayer and then Gods then took it and
dismantled it. Then again, it hasn't actually been created yet (at the time
of the conversation in _Dragon_) so talking about it in the past tense is
not neccesarily the correct way to view its history.