[Dragaera] Some speculation on Spellbreaker

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Sep 29 08:06:03 PDT 2008

> Do we have positive evidence for [the dismanlting of Godslayer]?
>
> If Godslayer was ever dismantled, the question of how the Morganti
> dagger ended up in the hands of the Jenoine is definitely worth asking.

The Serioli in _Dragon_ tells us that the Gods attempted to destroy
Godslayer. He's presented as an authority on these things, so we've no
reason to doubt him. Vlad might have heard of or mentioned the story
elsewhere in the Vladiad as well. I sort of have a memory of that but I
can't pin it down enough to feel confident about it.

The question about the Jenoine dagger has always been "Is it the missing
half of Godslayer or is it just a really powerful morganti dagger?" The
answer is pretty much "It doesn't make any difference." As for "How did the
Jenoine get it?", that's also a question that might be an interesting
factoid but is immaterial for the purposes of the stories.

What I'd find more interesting is learning what the Jenoine hoped to
accomplish by giving Vlad the dagger and sending him to kill Verra. Did they
know about Spellbreaker? Did they know about Vlad's "up and down"
relationship with Verra? Did they think he'd kill a God to save his friends?
Did they think the dagger was strong enough to kill a God? Did they expect
Vlad to forge Godslayer? If so, did they expect him to use Godslayer to kill
Verra? Was it a feint? Did they have another plan completely? Was it just a
gamble, like "We used our home-made river of chaos to perform some
rudimentary divination and discovered 'this guy right here might kill Verra
under the right circumstances.' Further divination said we should bring him
together with this dagger. Whaddya say we do it and see what happens?"

I have the feeling that the Jenoine see sorcery as a new kind of technology
and they're playing around with it in a kind of trial and error fashion.
They're trying to understand the science behind it in a manner not very
different from the way that nuclear scientists in the 50's were trying to
understand nuclear physics and built a usable bomb. The fact that Verra
identifies one or more of them as belonging to the Jenoine equivalent of the
military probably has something to do with that impression.