[Dragaera] Some speculation on Spellbreaker

Steve Rapaport steve at romlin.com
Mon Sep 29 09:07:38 PDT 2008

I always love to see Scott's thoughts.

Did they think he'd kill a God to save his friends? Did they think the
> dagger was strong enough to kill a God? Did they expect Vlad to forge
> Godslayer? If so, did they expect him to use Godslayer to kill Verra? Was it
> a feint? Did they have another plan completely? Was it just a gamble, like
> "We used our home-made river of chaos to perform some rudimentary divination
> and discovered 'this guy right here might kill Verra under the right
> circumstances.' Further divination said we should bring him together with
> this dagger. Whaddya say we do it and see what happens?"

...and this is exactly why.   I love this speculation line.  The combination
of crude divination and informed gambling makes way more sense to me than
machiavellian yendi-scheming, but I'd never quite put it together this way.

> I have the feeling that the Jenoine see sorcery as a new kind of technology
> and they're playing around with it in a kind of trial and error fashion.
> They're trying to understand the science behind it in a manner not very
> different from the way that nuclear scientists in the 50's were trying to
> understand nuclear physics and built a usable bomb.

Another brilliant take.  I particularly like that the Jenoine think on a big
scale but work really crudely.

--
\Steve