[Dragaera] Vlad and the Undead

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Sep 30 17:58:05 PDT 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Alexx Kay wrote:

> When Vlad first encounters Sethra Lavode, almost the first thing Loiosh
> says is "Boss, she's a vampire." (Tt 67).  Vlad is unsurprised by Loiosh's
> ability to perceive this, and (much later in life), says that Loiosh "can
> usually tell the undead with one sniff.” (O 284).  (Since Loiosh had just
> notably failed to do so, 'usually' may have meant 'always, with this one
> exception'; or there may be someone else who fooled him in the past.)  So
> at some point before Vlad met Sethra, he had enough encounters with the
> undead that he and Loiosh were somewhat familiar with them.

I don't follow - maybe she's, umm, room temperature, and of course L can
tell.  And I guess that between Tt and O they may have met a few undead.
Maybe "usually" is cover for the fact that Vlad doesn't know if they've
met undead L didn't note as such, or refers to "one" - maybe sometimes
it takes L longer to notice.

Remind me how Loraan manages to become undead?  Doesn't it involve
negotiating with the Ls of J?  Who presumably have it in for him
following the Pirodyssey?