[Dragaera] Vlad and the Undead

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue Sep 30 23:30:51 PDT 2008

Philip Hart wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Alexx Kay wrote:
>
>> AFAICT, souls don't "go off to the Paths" unless someone sends the
>> corresponding body over Deathsgate Falls.
>
> That would mean that anyone not taking the long trip would be
> essentially destroyed at death.  Vlad has dumped a few corpses in the
> sea but reported no compunction.  It's hard to imagine that Kieron and
> Co. managed to get themselves dumped off from all the way across the
> Empire - how did their souls survive?  What's the fate
> of drowned sailors?  Teckla?
>
> Certainly in _Dragon_ there's some question at the end about the
> utility of sending someone morgantied to the Falls but I don't
> see how doing so is required.

Vlad covers this in "Teckla". (Regarding the encounter with Franz's ghost.)

The soul only goes to the Paths to be judged if the person's body is
carried to Deathgate. Otherwise, after three days, the soul leaves the
body and goes to the "Plane of Waiting Souls" to be reborn. Assuming the
person is not morganti killed. Also note: While snapping the spine,
damaging the brain, spells, etc does prevent revivification, it does not
destroy the soul. Only Morganti/GWs do that.

Makes it a little easier to understand why Crithnak was so pissed off
about what Vlad did to her sister.