[Dragaera] Jenoine, Humans, Gods-To-Be, Amorphia, Great Weapons, Barrett, and Various Combinations Thereof

Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org
Wed Oct 1 07:48:50 PDT 2008

Scott Crain wrote:
> In regards to reincarnation, I think that it's possible that this
> location/area is one of the few places in the universe in which souls
> are a) definable and b) 'tangible' -- which advantage, I agree, the
> Serioli probably had.  I think perhaps that only Serioli souls have
> this advantage, and that when the Jenoine did their tinkering, they
> found a genetic marker that assisted in this, which they loaded into
> their experiments -- after all, the Gods say that Easterner souls
> don't reincarnate, so the majority of souls the Gods winnow through
> would be Dragaeran.  (And Serioli, and perhaps that's another reason
> why the Serioli are pissed off.)

Reincarnation wouldn't necessarily have to be due to the location, if
the Serioli were able to do it and the ability of Dragaerans and
Easterners (modified humans) to do it is somehow derived from the
Serioli ability.

Philip Hart wrote:

 > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Jon Lincicum wrote:
 >
 >> The soul only goes to the Paths to be judged if the person's body is
 >> carried to Deathgate. Otherwise, after three days, the soul leaves the
 >> body and goes to the "Plane of Waiting Souls" to be reborn.
 >
 > Assuming we believe Vlad, what's the difference?  The PoWS is first come
 > first served?  Lottery-based?  And how does Kieron end up in the Paths?

The Lords of Judgment are saving certain souls for use in their own
plans -- and one can't be selected for these plans unless one goes over
Deathgate Falls and attempts the Paths of the Dead. Which is
interesting, because the odds apparently aren't that good -- there are a
lot of purple robes about who didn't make it. I guess being picked by
the Lords of Judgment is a signal honor.

Based on this, Kieron's body must have somehow been sent over the Falls,
but I would guess that Dolivar's body was not... though the Lords of
Judgment might have deliberately chosen to let Dolivar's soul
reincarnate as an Easterner. But it would be more amusing if they
weren't able to control where his soul went, because his body didn't go
over the Falls, and so Vlad's existence was due to whatever default
processes dictate the reincarnation of souls, and they've been on
tenterhooks waiting to see where it would turn up.

Then again, perhaps the Lords of Judgment are only *supposed* to meddle
with souls that go over the Falls, but Verra fetched and manipulated
Vlad/Dolivar's soul in defiance of the usual rules. I wouldn't put it
past her. :D

--
Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood
Support Steven Brust!