[Dragaera] Vlad and the Undead

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Wed Oct 1 10:11:47 PDT 2008

From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>
> > Philip Hart wrote:
> >

> >> first served?  Lottery-based?  And how does Kieron end up in the Paths?
> >
> > I do not know the answers to your other questions. Though, on the last point,
> > it would seem likely to me that there would still be enough people around who
> > venerated Kieron after his death at the hands of his Shamans that he would be
> > afforded a trip to Deathgate with full honors.
>

> My point was that it's a rather difficult trip for Piro & Co, with a good
> map and not carrying a coffin, crossing long-pacified territory
> (relatively speaking) and not having just fought a war and lost control,
> etc. etc.  I guess Zerika knew how to get there, and was able to do so.

Well, I would imagine that someone of Kieron's prominence would have rather greater resources dedicated to their interment (is that word correct when talking about sending someone over Deathgate? Hmmm) than your average Lyorn or Dzur nobleman.

I'm picturing a massive convoy stopping at every village along the way with an open casket, taking tens of years to make the trip. A bit like Lincoln's train trip back to Springfield, Illinois in 1865.

Losing control and getting assassinated does not mean losing respect of the masses, and the new leaders of the Empire may very well have been compelled to treat Kieron's burial with proper reverence despite their personal disdain for the man himself.

What kind of honors did Kruschev afford to Stalin?