[Dragaera] Jenoine, Humans, Gods-To-Be, Amorphia, Great Weapons, Barrett, and Various Combinations Thereof

Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org
Wed Oct 1 11:24:04 PDT 2008

Scott Schultz wrote:

> Do we have some reason to believe that Dolivar did NOT come to the Paths
> of the Dead? He lived longer than Kieron, and he was the eventual leader
> of the outcasts that would become House Jhereg. There's even the
> suggestion that Sethra had a soft spot for him (which Vlad seems to
> believe to be at least part of the explanation for Kiera's befriending
> of him). It seems like he would have made the preparations for the
> eventuality and had at least one friend that would see that those plans
> were executed.

My speculation was based on a couple of thoughts that may not hold up.
One thought was that Dolivar's soul might have ended up being reborn as
an Easterner in part because the LoJ *didn't* have as much control over
his rebirth as they might have had if he had gone over the Falls.
Another was that Dolivar might not have wanted to go over the Falls, if
he didn't want his soul judged by the LoJ, e.g. because he thought he'd
be relegated to purple robe status or because he disliked the idea of
having to serve whatever purpose the LoJ had. I could see Vlad making a
decision like that. (This would even work if he's been reincarnated
since then, if this stubborn streak holds true across incarnations.)

Now, Verra is quite sneaky and might have managed to find and
reincarnate his soul anyway, but might have had to slip him in with the
Easterners to avoid detection by the rest of the LoJ, or might have made
him an Easterner for her own reasons.

I think this will end up being significant to the series, either way.
Vlad's former identity is revealed in the first book SKZB wrote, hand
has been mentioned periodically since then. I'm quite curious to see how
it plays out in coming books. (Perhaps there will be an interesting
conversation with a female philosopher in which some tidbits are
dropped... before Vlad has to kill her.)

Regarding Loraan, I'm stumped as to why the LoJ would give him
"permission" to return to Dragaera as an undead. I suspect that in his
case, he's avoided the departing of his soul by some other means. After
all, the bait to get him to do whatever he did for the conspirators at
the end of the Interregnum was the staff with Aliera's soul in it. He
evidently had some heavy research plans around the nature of souls and
their containment.

(And is it the case that the primary purpose of the LoJ is to judge
souls? Despite the name, I rather thought their purpose had to do with
holding off the Jenoine, and the soul-sorting was a means to that end.)

--
Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood
Support Steven Brust!