[Dragaera] Jenoine, Humans, Gods-To-Be, Amorphia, Great Weapons, Baritt, and Various Combinations Thereof

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 15:08:12 PDT 2008

--- On Wed, 10/1/08, Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:

> I may well be wrong, but I've had the feeling all these
> years that, while he
> has a lot of the background laid out in his mind, Steve
> tends to make up a lot of stuff as he goes along.

I've had precisely that feeling too.

> It's my gut feeling at this point that Dolivar's
> soul did, in fact, end up
> in the Halls of Judgement.

In keeping with that, I doubt there's a "fact of the
matter" on this point.  Maybe Steve has a history of
Dolivar's soul in mind, but even if he does, I feel
certain he'll happily change it if he thinks of
something that will make a book cooler.

> The fact is, that a soul that is perfectly
> suited to wielding
> Godslayer has defied convention and ended up in the body of
> a short-lived
> Easterner, who is under Verra's control (at least she
> has his loyalty up to a point)

"Up to a point" is right.

> and who has, in fact, come into possession of
> Godslayer.
>
> My theory on this is that Verra

> "put his soul in
> a box", figuratively, and made sure that it did NOT
> reincarnate until she
> needed it, and then made sure that, against natural law, it
> incarnated into
> a being who would live just long enough to do the job she
> needs to have done.

You say "defied convention" and "against natural law", but
do we know that?  I think it's just as likely that
Easterners and Dragaerans come from the same "pool" of
souls and get mixed around (or that Steve will decide that
way when he needs a decision).  In /Phoenix/, Zerika says
something like, "Laszlo is an Easterner because that's
the kind of body his soul is housed in."

> Verra may not even know what that purpose may be.

Heck, her creator may not, exactly.

Jerry Friedman