[Dragaera] Loraan's Motives

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Thu Oct 2 07:42:23 PDT 2008

Philip Hart:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Alexx Kay wrote:
>
>> Shortly after the events of _Taltos_, Loraan turns up undead.  He tries
>> bring Imperial charges against Morollan, as a thief and murderer.  He
>> wants revenge, and he wants the return of his stolen property.
>>
>> Revenge, at least in any direct way, proves impractical; Morrolan has
>> too
>> much power, in every sense, to be attacked.  True, he committed crimes,
>> but Zerika likely pardons him, since his various gambles paid off in
>> restoring Aliera to life. Of the two stolen artifacts, one no longer
>> exists.  All this, Loraan must accept, albeit grudgingly.
>
> I don't think that this is needed by your hypothetical; and I don't think
> it's at all plausible.

Needed, no.  But I put it in because it seemed very plausible to me.

> Loraan is in no position to ask anything from the
> Empire.  The only reason he's still alive after _TEoDM_ is that M never
> had a good excuse to risk bearding him in his den.

Do Zerika and Morrolan *know* that Loraan was helping Kana?  The gods do,
but they are not known for sharing information profligately.

Even if they do know, was there not some sort of general amnesty after
Zerika took power?  (Honestly don't remember, but it's what typically
happens in these situations.)  The Empire does seem to have a degree of
respect for Rule of Law which would make the notion of a landed noble
being "in no position to ask" for legal recourse implausible to me.

> He may not even have standing to sue as an undead.

Now that is certainly possible.  On the other hand, being undead doesn't
seem to prevent him from holding his lands and titles, so I wouldn't make
any strong assumptions about the issue.

Alexx

"There are a number of reasons you might want to get this book:
 a) Someone else is paying for it.
 b) Someone offers it to you free.
 c) You're facing a plane trip and the only alternative is Gravity's
     Rainbow."             -- Dani Zweig