[Dragaera] The Enclouding

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Thu Oct 9 12:26:44 PDT 2008

> Of a certainty. Smog build-up that requires days and days to accumulate
> can be blown out to sea by one strong gust of wind. This is why this
> paragraph of my post was presented as my personal opinion, rather than
> confirmed fact.
>
> Majikjon

This is why the meterological analogy breaks down if you use it as more than
just a model for the look of the Enclouding and the mechanism of its
creation. To the best of our knowledge, the Enclouding is constant. Maybe
Dragaera just never gets windstorms, but that's a bit difficult to believe.
Given that no amount of meterological activity seems to affect it, there's
no reason to believe that it must act like air pollution simply because it
resembles air pollution.

Given that it's not only constant but has even spread to cover most or all
of the continent west of the Eastern Mountains (I don't believe that Vlad
has commented on the brightness of the sky during his jungle adventures or
his trip out West in _Dragon_) it's not unreasonable to speculate that the
"smog" NEVER dissipates.

It's not a particle floating around in the air, IMO. It's some sort of
metaphysical manifestation that happens to take the form of a cloud when
viewed with the naked eye.

As someone mentioned previously, the one reference we have about its source
is not what you'd call definitive. There's plenty of wiggle room for Steve
to make it be whatever he wants, particularly given the whole "fallible
narrator" trope that the series likes to engage in.