[Dragaera] The Enclouding

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Thu Oct 9 13:20:57 PDT 2008

Scott Schultz:

> Given that no amount of meterological activity seems to affect it, there's
> no reason to believe that it must act like air pollution simply because it
> resembles air pollution.
>
> Given that it's not only constant but has even spread to cover most or all
> of the continent west of the Eastern Mountains

I don't believe these claims are supported by the Texts.  Specifically,
_Brokedown Palace_ discusses how the "Hand of Faerie" sometimes "covers
the whole land" of Fenario, but usually "has blown away in a few days" (BP
8).  This makes it quite clear that the Enclouding is not constant, and
also strongly suggests that it is affected by weather.  It is sufficiently
dense over the Empire that it never (so far as we know) dissipates
completely, but I'm pretty sure that variations in density and color have
been observed (though I cannot come up with refs off the top of my head).

Alexx

"The apes were all homosexuals, eager to wrap their paws around
 Johnny's thighs.  They were jealous of me, and I loathed them."
    -- Maureen O'Sullivan