[Dragaera] The Enclouding

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Thu Oct 9 13:47:10 PDT 2008

> I don't believe these claims are supported by the Texts.  Specifically,
> _Brokedown Palace_ discusses how the "Hand of Faerie" sometimes "covers
> the whole land" of Fenario, but usually "has blown away in a few days" (BP
> 8).  This makes it quite clear that the Enclouding is not constant, and
> also strongly suggests that it is affected by weather.  It is sufficiently
> dense over the Empire that it never (so far as we know) dissipates
> completely, but I'm pretty sure that variations in density and color have
> been observed (though I cannot come up with refs off the top of my head).

I really need to replace my lost copy of Brokedown Palace.

Accepting it at face value, since we have no reason to do otherwise, it
sounds like it does move around in a cloud-like fashion. I'd agree that
variations in density and color have been observed; I just wouldn't assume
that it's caused by the wind blowing it around without some other evidence.

What was Rocza's impression of the Enclouding in Athyra? She held her breath
when flying through it, as I recall, but I can't shake loose any particular
reference to its basic nature.

It's possible (though I won't stretch so far as to say it's likely) that the
Easterners think of it as a cloud bank because that's what they see. Even if
there was some other mechanism involved in the retreat of the "Hand of
Faerie", the average easterner would see a bunch of clouds dissipating and
think "it's about time the wind blew those clouds away". They may be
perfectly correct, but in reality they're in a poor position for evaluating
the phenomenon.

It would be amusing if, in fact, the reason the Hand of Faerie sometimes
touches Fenario is that it's attracted to the execution of sorcery in the
area; by Sandos, for instance. (Yeah, he's dead, but I'm speaking in a
historical context.)