[Dragaera] Dragaeran programming

Michael Wojcik mwojcik at newsguy.com
Sat Oct 11 09:28:49 PDT 2008

Bastlynn wrote:
> 16 is simply an easy marker to be able to
> break binary into hex (as it's divisable by four).

Surely more important is that it's a power of two, and so is both
amenable to mental calculations involving binary arithmetic (ie,
arithmetic over GF(2)), and convenient to the natural word sizes of
binary computers.

That's a bit beside the point, though, as I understood Phillip's
question to be really about attaining Dragaeran nerdish perfection in
the implementation of his quantization algorithm.

My recommendation would be to decide which house to emulate. An
Athyra, I suspect, would use 0-16, as that is both wizardly and
subtle. An Issola would use 1-17, for propriety. A Yendi might use -8
through +8, though that might be too obvious.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus