[Dragaera] Sethra's apprentices

Joshua Kronengold mneme at io.com
Tue Oct 14 09:52:34 PDT 2008

Alexx Kay writes:
>What does she need an apprentice *for*, anyways?  The traditional role of
>an apprentice is to learn the master's skills, so that those skills are
>preserved once the master has passed on.  Sethra shows no signs of
>'passing on' any time soon.

Oh, Sethra passed on a long time ago.

..

That said, I don't have any problem with Sethra taking an apprentice,
not to replace her, but to pass on and increase the Empire's access to
her skills.  Only one way to make new wizards, after all, and it's not
to breed two wizards together.

(Plus, the Lavodes, elite that they are, seem in short supply at the
moment.  Not going to get too many of them by hanging around Dzur
mountain looking at the magic-works either.)

I think the primary reasons most of Sethra's apprentices have tried to
kill her are:
	1. That she recruits dangerous people as apprentices
 	(what's the point, otherwise), and that dangerous people have decent
	odds of trying to take her on.

	2. That she almost certainly recruits, among others, her
	apprentices from those who have already tried to kill her, and
	done an interesting job of it.  After all, what's a better
	interview, given her profession, than a fight to the death?
	And what with Dzur Mountain being something of an open
	invitation, it's not like she doesn't get a fair number of
	interviewees that way.

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'