[Dragaera] *slaps head about Tukko* *AGYAR SPOILERS*

Steve Rapaport steve at romlin.com
Tue Oct 14 16:39:50 PDT 2008

Applying Gillette's Razor once more, for an even closer shave, I get:

Sethra is a vampire.

Tukko isn't.

Sethra is older than Tukko if you count since she was born.

Tukko is older than Sethra if you count only since she was undead.

OR

Sethra is older than Tukko if you count time spent as part of Dzur Mountain,
Tukko is older if you don't.

Neither of these requires extra hypotheses not supported by textev.

Thanks, Gillette!

Steve

2008/10/14 J C <greyw01f at hotmail.com>

> The recent mention of Awesome's Razor being more powerful than Occam's
> Razor got me thinking about things, and then suddenly it popped into my head
> that we can apply both Razors at once to the subject of Just How Old
> Tukko/Sethra Is (at least, in relation to each other).
>
> Given that this effectively means that two razors are at work here, I think
> I'll call this phenomenon "Gilette's Razor" for obvious reasons :P
>
> So yeah, onto the head slap:
>
> Sethra is undead.  Not only is she undead, she is a specific type of
> undead: A vampire.
>
> Would it be completely impossible that Tukko is one too?  We wouldn't know
> from textev which one sired the other, but it would certainly be an
> explanation how a person can at once be both older and younger than another
> person.  To explain: Tukko's physical body is 30 (as an Easterner might
> judge it) at the time at which he is turned into a vampire.   Sethra's body
> is, let's say, 50 (again, as the Easterner might judge it) when she is
> turned.  Thus, Sethra is justified in saying that Tukko is "younger than I
> am".  Of course, she leaves out the fact that Tukko created her as a
> vampire, after living for centuries before he did so, thus Tukko is
> justified in calling Sethra "Young one". This is Occam's Razor.
>
> Of course, I've always kind of thought that Sethra became undead as a means
> of escaping the Paths of the Dead.  Still, that doesn't cancel out the
> possibility of Tukko the vampire turning Sethra into a vampire to do so.
>
> This makes particular sense if being a vampire in this instance has
> something to do with merging with the entity that is Dzur Mountain.  It also
> explains the collection of seemingly Terran objects of unknown
> function/purpose that clutter various parts of Dzur Mountain.  Tukko is a
> vampire, possibly of the bloodline of Kellem.  It would be SO cool if that
> were the case, because it would be one more bond that ties all the novels
> together.   This is Awesome's Razor.
>
> I suggest the following as a timeline, then:
>
> Kellem creates Agyar.  Agyar creates what's-her-name as a vampire herself
> and then suicides by sunlight.
>
> years pass, and eventually what's-her-name creates a vampire, or a line of
> vampires that can be traced to a vampire who either sneaks aboard or buys
> passage aboard a starship that escapes the nuclear destruction of Earth, and
> happens to be involved with the events of Feng's, in such a way that the
> vampire survives somehow.  Eventually, the Terran colonists find their way
> to Dzur Mountain where either the vampire who came along that trip takes up
> residence inside of Dzur Mountain, thus permanently avoiding the sunlight,
> or creates the vampire who does, whose name is, or comes to be, Tukko.
>
> This is Gilette's Razor.
>
> I seriously wrenched my shoulder patting myself on the back there for not
> one great names but two :P
>
> Jon

\Steve