[Dragaera] *slaps head about Tukko* *AGYAR SPOILERS*

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 09:59:16 PDT 2008

"I wot" is a very clever suggestion for "Aye, what".
However, of the 15 hits at the searchable Shakespeare
at <http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~matty/Shakespeare/test.html>,
none are from /Hamlet/, and none are preceded or followed
by anything resembling "he knows".  (Nine are preceded by
"well" and one is followed by it.)  So if this is a
Shakespeare allusion, either I'm missing something or I'd
say it's a long stretch.

For vampires please see below.

--- On Tue, 10/14/08, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Alexx Kay wrote:
>
> > There is little-to-no textev on this.  I *suspect*
> that 'vampire' and
> > 'undead' are both rather poor translations
> into English of Dragaeran
> > concepts that have no exact analogues in our culture.
>

> I had been wondering whether perhaps there was one term,
> which the
> Translator had chosen to render as "vampire" in
> the earlier-appearing
> Texts but then switched to "undead" except for
> Sethra to be consistent.
> Maybe there are as you say two terms, and both have about
> the same
> meaning but one is popular and the other technical.  Vlad
> in early
> Narratives uses the former, as does Savn.  Paarfi I suspect
> uses the latter exclusively.

I hope you don't mind if I repeat this quotation from
/Athyra/, Chapter 6, which I think clearly indicates
that there are two different words and that vampires
are a subset of the undead (as far as Vlad knows).

"Moreover, he is undead himself, which proves that he
is a skilled necromancer, if I hadn't known it before."

"Undead?  You want me to believe His Lordship is a
vampire?"

"A vampire?  Hmmm.  Maybe.  Do you know of any cases of
mysterious death, blood drained, all that?"

Also, on the ingenious suggestion that Sethra was made
into a vampire as part of a chain leading back to Jack
Agyar, we know she's not the same kind of vampire as
he is because she doesn't avoid the sun.  At least,
she unhesitatingly spends time outdoors in /Dragon/
and spoiler.

Jerry Friedman