[Dragaera] Vlad's passivity

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 21:53:48 PDT 2008

--- On Thu, 10/16/08, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> > The way I read it, the murder of Reins and the attempts
> > on Vlad's life reveal that Vlad's in danger from Loraan,
> > so he decides he'll have to kill Loraan sooner or later.
> > Then for reasons I don't understand, he decides it should
> > be sooner.

> Vlad doesn't have anything to do with his life at the moment.
> And he's likely to be killed at any time the Jhereg find him.
> So there's not much to be gained by waiting.

I see a lot to gain.  Loraan won't be quite so prepared
if he doesn't know Vlad's in the area.  In particular,
Ishtvan and his knife probably won't be around.  Also,
Vlad can have time to plan in relative safety and time
to amass whatever he needs.  (Loraan can also do that,
but he's probably done a lot already and reached the
point of diminishing returns.)

Most important, Vlad can get help.  I imagine Aliera
would be interested in getting revenge on Loraan.
Morrolan might also be interested in finishing the job
and preventing Loraan from getting revenge on /him/.
(We don't see any sign that Vlad thinks about warning
Morrolan.  He could ask Savn to send a letter by the
Imperial Post, maybe.) Even Sethra might be interested.

Of course, /Athyra/ is one of my favorite books, and I
wouldn't want to mess with it.

Jerry Friedman