[Dragaera] speculation on forthcoming books (possible spoilers)

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 22:05:11 PDT 2008

--- On Mon, 10/20/08, Maximilian Wilson <wilson.max at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:55 AM, J C <greyw01f at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > HAWK
> >
> > Anyone want to place bets that Devera and Vlad
> Norathar end up together?
>
> Ew.

I was going to say "Aw".

> Rishathra is kind of an icky idea already before taking
> account of
> the fact that one of the parties habitually assumes the
> form of a six-year-old (-equivalent) girl.

Nine, give or take a year.  I assume she's going to
get older at some point, possibly even in the future.

> No, I hope Vlad Norathar
> grows up and
> becomes a fisherman or a scholar or something and marries a
> nice girl named Ibronka.

Well, that would be good too.  As would being his
father's right-hand man.  Or enemy.

> So far, except for "Jhereg," the titles have had
> relatively little to
> do with the larger plot arc per se and more to do with
> personality and
> theme. This is probably why a book which is supposed to be
> "Tiassa"
> can morph into "Dzur" all of a sudden, as Vlad
> changes his approach to
> the problem.
>
> Yendi -> Vlad gets involved in a Jhereg turf war and
> meets Cawti. A
> minor character turns out to actually be manipulating
> things from
> behind the scenes for political gain. Vlad is not notably
> sneaky.

But he does figure out a Yendi's plot, which it's axiomatic
that only a Yendi can do.

> Teckla -> Cawti gets involved with a Marxist movement
> which clashes
> with the Jhereg. Peasants are unhappy. Vlad is glad
> he's not a peasant.

But starts to sympathize with them a little.

[snipping ones I don't have anything to add to]

 > Athyra -> Vlad goes to a little village where evil
> necromancer is out
> to get Vlad. Vlad is manipulative.

But starts to think maybe he shouldn't be.

> Dragon -> Vlad is insulted, decides to take it out on
> the party
> responsible by involving himself in a war. Vlad slogs
> through the mud,
> runs away, and is glad he's not a soldier. Everybody
> else is crazy, especially Napper.

But Vlad starts to sympathize with them, maybe more
than a little.

> Issola -> Jenoine invade the world while Vlad discusses
> courtesy with
> Lady Teldra. Lady Teldra surprises everybody, twice, at the
> most (in)convenient time imaginable.

Vlad is absurdly rude to everybody, but becomes less so
at the end.

> Jhegaala -> Vlad investigates a small-town mystery.
> Continues to come
> to terms with his relationship with Verra, begins a
> metamorphosis of sorts.

After a few metamorphoses of his own.

Biggest disappointment: this is the only book where we
don't meet anyone of the eponymous House.  I wanted to
see how Jhegaala manage by shifting all the time.
In fact we've never met any of the petite bourgeoisie,
and I'd like to find out about them.  Maybe they're
Not Cool--but there's still /Chreotha/.

My only prediction is for /Iorich/: Vlad decides
whether or not to hold a grudge.

Jerry Friedman