[Dragaera] Vlad's passivity--getting long

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue Oct 21 09:44:14 PDT 2008

From: "Alexx Kay" <alexx at panix.com>
> Jon Lincicum:
>
> > As a practical matter, the thing that holds lords accountable for their
> > serfs in a feudal society is the threat of revolt. Most of the serfs we've
> > seen so far have been "free" in the cities, so it's hard to say how the
> > lords in "the Dutchies" really handle their vassals... Beyond the examples
> > of Aerich (who would seem to be exceptionally benevolent) and Loraan (who
> > may be exceptional in the other direction).
>
> Actually, having recently reread _Athyra_, Loraan is seen by his vassals
> as a relatively benevolent ruler.  At least one neighboring lord is called
> out as being much more oppressive in his taxation and general policies, so
> Loraan looks kind by comparison.

This is a device apparently used by many Lords to stave off revolt, as Vlad seems to imply in Chapter 5. Invent a neighboring lord who is "so much worse" that your own dictator looks kind by comparison.

But "seen by his vassals as" and "the actual truth is" can be very different. Certainly, Loraan has no qualms about torturing Master Wag for information, or putting his own vassals to work searching for Vlad. Savn does also indicate that his lord's tax men are not the nicest fellows, and the only reason it's bearable is because of the Dzurlord next door who is "so much worse".

The ambiguity here is really why I chose to say that Loraan "may be exceptional in the other direction", as it's not entirely clear how he stacks up compared to the "average" nobleman in the Empire.