[Dragaera] Vlad's passivity--getting long

Michael Wojcik mwojcik at newsguy.com
Thu Oct 23 23:12:59 PDT 2008

Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com> wrote:
>> Michael Wojcik:
>>> popular theater (we know
>>> theater existed just prior to the Interregnum, and I don't see any
>>> reason it would have stopped)
>>
>> Vlad goes to the theater for entertainment fairly often, so it must still
>> exist.  Several offhand references, and (IIRC) he actually attends a show
>> during one book, though he's too distracted by the main plot to actually
>> *see* it.
>
> And during his exile in /Issola/, he makes a point of discussing with
> Lady Teldra their situation in light of how it would happen in a
> theatrical play, ending with "Now you know why I never attend the
> theatre."

So we know theater exists, and Vlad does and does not partake?

Interesting that I'd forgotten the relevant references. (The theater
bits in FYHA are hard to forget, since they include an extended
version of the Show Business Joke.) Apparently they just didn't strike
me as particularly relevant when reading the novels - unlike, say, the
Hamlet production in PDDB's _Tam Lin_, which is clearly central to the
novel.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus