[Dragaera] Vlad's passivity--first half

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 27 22:13:22 PDT 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Alexx Kay wrote:

> Jerry Friedman:
>
>> These are the Jhereg who didn't spot Vlad at his
>> estate at Szurke, where his only (known) blood
>> relative lives.
>
> Something which has been bugging me, and striking me as a major plot hole.
> I suppose it might count as Vlad's Home, and thus be off-limits, but
> still...

They had already abandoned the home taboo in _Phoenix_, the
consequence of Vlad having broken it to some extent earlier,
I forget exactly.

I don't think I had a problem with Vlad being able to go to Szurke.
He teleports directly to N-p, I imagine, and probably out; and I
would think that any Jhereg getting too close to N-p's estate
finds himself getting attacked by flies and norska and eventually
more convincing beasties, and any planted observing devices get
painted over by apparent accident.  We know from is it Issola? that
Verra has been looking after Vlad's family, which has struck me as
part of a larger problem - why Vlad thinks the Jhereg won't attack
them to get at him.  Anyway Szurke might well be a relatively safe
place for Vlad as long as he keeps out of too plain sight.