[Dragaera] HMS Pinafore reference in Phoenix?

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Nov 3 18:58:40 PST 2008

I was listening to the 1968 D'Oyly Carte recording of /H.M.S. Pinafore/
today when I realized the captain's name in that show was very similar
to a character from /Phoenix/.

The name of Captain "Corcoran" of the H.M.S. Pinafore (and a right good
captain he) seems very similar to King Corcor'n of Greenaere.

Thinking "someone must have commented on this previously", I ran to the
Cracks and Shards "Jokes & Allusions" page, and found nothing listed. I
searched the list archives as well, and came up empty, but I do know
that the archives have had occasional problems over the years, and this
discussion may simply have been lost in a server crash.

Is this a coincidence, or a reference?

If valid, is it possible that Phoenix contains other H.M.S. Pinafore
(and/or more generic Gilbert & Sullivan) references to be found, the way
Hamlet quotes have been turning up in /Athyra/? Or is this just a
one-off gag?

Jon

Well give three cheers and one cheer more for the well-bred captain of
the Pinafore!
Yes, give three cheers and one cheer more for the captain of the Pinafore!