[Dragaera] HMS Pinafore reference in Phoenix?

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 3 20:57:27 PST 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> If valid, is it possible that Phoenix contains other H.M.S. Pinafore
> (and/or more generic Gilbert & Sullivan) references to be found, the
> way Hamlet quotes have been turning up in /Athyra/? Or is this just a
> one-off gag?

_Hamlet_ is a fine thematic match for _Athyra_, being about a guy who
thinks too much (or see R&G, or ...).  For _Phoenix_ I'd expect to find
_The Winter's Tale_ references before G&S.  "Corcoran" is a very common
name - http://www.google.com/search?q=corcoran - I see no reason to
think G&S at all.  Esp. since we (or anyway I) learned about the
randomness of "Tibbs" here the other day (nothing as it happens to
do with doro tibs, just a pick by a guy who happened to win an auction
to name the character).