[Dragaera] Reading series

Margaret Young myoung at albion.edu
Mon Jan 19 13:48:50 PST 2009

WARNING, DUNE SPOILERS BELOW

While I tend to agree Jeff I noticed this winter break that within the
Frank (or perhaps "real") Dune books there is, after the first two, a
slipperyness between (warning, warning, spoilers) the Duncans — where
the Duncan of God Emperor seems to remember (or at least be marked by
the experiences of) Hayt. And Stilgar seems to forget in Children that
he had interacted with Duke Leto. Duncan did not (against, beware
spoilers) live that long after the Atreides arrived on Dune and yet
later seems all too versed in Fremen culture.

All of this is said with affection — I have read the Dune books many
times and spend hours every week working with a student who, I think,
would like to create a complex mapping of the Dune universe.

One of the advantages Brust has is a very tight relationship with a
fairly large number of people who a fanatical about the type of mapping
and close reading that I don't think Herbert had the advantage of
experiencing.

Margaret

>>> Jeffrey Kiok <blackbird0 at yahoo.com> 1/19/2009 4:26 PM >>>
Being a rabid Dune fan myself, I feel a bit compelled to interject.

While I agree, Maraget, that Brust has much better continuity than the

Herberts, I do think, in fairness to Frank Herbert, it should be
pointed out that there are two Herberts you're talking about, and I
think many a Dune fan rates the one far higher than the other.

I think (thought) that Frank Herbert's sixth book ended the series
masterfully, and that his son essentially created a new storyline
(destroying the old one) in order to create the seventh and eighth
book in the series.

-Jeff