[Dragaera] Reading series

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Jan 20 12:37:10 PST 2009

On Mon, January 19, 2009 15:26, Jeffrey Kiok wrote:
> Being a rabid Dune fan myself, I feel a bit compelled to interject.
>
> While I agree, Maraget, that Brust has much better continuity than the
> Herberts, I do think, in fairness to Frank Herbert, it should be
> pointed out that there are two Herberts you're talking about, and I
> think many a Dune fan rates the one far higher than the other.
>
> I think (thought) that Frank Herbert's sixth book ended the series
> masterfully, and that his son essentially created a new storyline
> (destroying the old one) in order to create the seventh and eighth
> book in the series.

Being a rabid Dune fan myself, I have a REALLY simple solution: there is
no Dune "series".  There are no Dune books (in the plural).  There is only
ONE Dune book.  Which is one of the finest SF novels ever written.

And I say that as somebody who made it all the way to the third or fourth
book before giving up part-way through in cumulative disgust.

I very strongly suspect that the stories about Dune being very heavily
revised with input from John W. Campbell are true, and that that explains
it.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info