[Dragaera] Steven Erikson (was: Reading series)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 20 13:57:30 PST 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Casey Rousseau wrote:

> http://www.strangehorizons.com/2003/20030203/brust.shtml
> SB: The Cool Stuff Theory of Literature states that all literature consists
> of whatever the writer thinks is cool, and the reader will enjoy the work to
> the degree that the reader and writer agree about what's cool -- and this
> functions all the way from the external trappings to deepest level of theme
> and to the way the writer uses words.

What does this mean in practice?  That the value of a work is a
collaborative decision between the writer and reader?  To me "cool"
in this context means something with style, something surprising and
immediately gratifying.  But one might think that a work is cool if
it is full of colorful incidents or if it is highly streamlined.

"From classical Greek and Roman times, two literary traditions have grown
alongside each other. One, a florid oratorical style called Asiatic prose,
sported elaborate antitheses, complicated syntax, and correspondences in
sense and sound. The other, Attic prose, was refined conversation:
concise, restrained, shorn of intricacy." (Garner, The Elements of Legal
Style.)  Which is cool?

There are episodes in e.g. _The New Sun_ which are cool as cool can be
but add little to our understanding of Severian and his story - consider
the stories told in the lazarette.  Compare those chapters to the brief
incident with the alzabo, which is at once thrilling, moving, and
thematically important (since questions of identity and memory are so
central to the book).  Except for the tale of Loyal to the Group of
Seventeen (which has relevant world-building import along with its
maybe-sledgehammer political commentary), the stories would be just as
cool and lovely out of context.  Or say the sorcerers' duel compared to
the avern duel - both cool, the former of (as far as I can recall) no
utility to the plot.  The detail about the gloves in the latter is both
very cool and instructive - the reader suddenly understands the whole idea
behind the challenge.  Similarly, the description of the messenger at the
beginning of _FHYA_ (discussed in recent threads) is both cool and
effective.  I claim everything in the latter work is at least effective.