[Dragaera] Steven Erikson (was: Reading series)

John Dallman jgd at cix.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 12:00:00 PST 2009

In article <5D640A29369E43B0AEEF36224DE35A3A at Prophnt3.local>,
casey at the-bat.net (Casey Rousseau) wrote:

> http://www.strangehorizons.com/2003/20030203/brust.shtml
> SB: The Cool Stuff Theory of Literature states that all literature
> consists of whatever the writer thinks is cool, and the reader will
> enjoy the work to the degree that the reader and writer agree about
> what's cool -- and this functions all the way from the external
> trappings to deepest level of theme and to the way the writer uses
> words.

One has to beware of taking him too literally. I heard him expound his
method of writing based on this: Think of a cool sentence to put down,
then another one to follow it and so on. That is clearly not his whole
method of constructing stories, however, unless his subconscious is a
genius of organisation.

--
John Dallman, jgd at cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.