[Dragaera] Loose ends - A poll for the list.

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Jan 23 17:11:08 PST 2009

Ike Porter wrote:
> I'm still wondering what a patronymic is?

Wow. That's one I can actually answer:

from:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/patronymic

      Noun

*patronymic* (/plural/: *patronymics
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/patronymics>*)

"1. name acquired from one's father's, grandfather's or earlier male
ancestor's first name. Some cultures use a patronymic where other
cultures use a surname <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/surname> or family
name; other cultures {like Russia} use both a patronymic and a surname."

In the case of Cawti, she has not revealed a patgronymic, or "family
name" to Vlad or Noish-Pa that we know of. It is not clear if she is
aware of who her father even is, although there is some evidence from
SKZB directly to provide readers with some idea of this information.