[Dragaera] fortunes (spoilers)

J C greyw01f at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 25 06:55:16 PST 2009

vlad at one point is told that he'll be brought to the brink of destruction by his left hand.

On words words words, there is a person "Mendel" who thinks this is about the events in Jhegaala.

I would like to respectfully disagree with him on this point; him losing a finger isn't the CAUSE of him being brought down, but more like the effect.

If anything this is the least applicable interpretation of this fortune.

Please recall that it is at the left hand where a person's sheathed sword lies, the left hand that is considered the one that's not appropriate to use when swearing an oath in court (though this Terran conception is irrelevent in Dragaeran society, ooc you can't ignore that it's a Terran that writes these novels for our consumption) it is also the Left Hand of the Jhereg that may bring him to his destruction, or in a more mystical sense, Vlad's (an individual Jhereg) own personal Left Hand, ie, Cawti, that will make him risk ruin to please/save her.  Remember that it is Vlad's left hand that wields the chain of Spellbreaker, and later, the left hand that wields Godslayer.  Remeber that absolute power corrupts absolutely; Vlad gets a little drunk with power in Dzur, and it's a testament to a GW's actual potency that it can back up his foolish bravado and, like it did for Barritt, make the foolish/impossible stick.

There are so many different interpretations to that fortune, I think that considering a mystic's fortune on a purely physical level is, like Vlad's left hand, essentially flawed.

Jon