[Dragaera] Seventeen penny-farthings?

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Thu Apr 2 12:38:05 PDT 2009

The other day, I realized that one of my other favorite serials also
featured a prominent seventeen.  There were seventeen episodes of The
Prisoner, Patrick McGoohan's wonderfully strange TV show from the 60s.

My brain being as twisted as it is, I then wondered if one could map the
Dragaeran Houses to the episodes.  Anyone else want to play?

Phoenix:
"Arrival" or "Fall Out" as first and last?  "Dance of the Dead", for
decadence, and (symbolic) death and rebirth?

Dragon:
War is not a foreground element in any episode, though it is arguably a
backround element in all of them.

Lyorn:
"The Girl Who Was Death" is framed as a fairy-tale, which is a
'traditional' art form.  On another level, this episode is in many ways a
reused Danger Man episode, so reflects tradition there.

Tiassa:
???

Hawk:
"The General" is about knowing all possible facts, while being unable to
interpret the meanings behind them.  This would be a negative view of the
House of teh Hawk, but I think a lot of these matches will be negative in
that way.

Dzur:
???

Issola:
The script for "Arrival" refers multiple times to Number 2's "dangerous
courtesy", and most of the Villagers treat him very politely.

Tsalmoth:
Certainly Number 6 is tenacious throughout.  ???

Vallista:
In "The Chimes of Big Ben", Number 6 says he will escape, come back, and
destroy the Village.

Jhereg:
Crime rarely if ever is an element.  And corruption is ubiquitous. ???

Iorich:
"Living in Harmony" features a corrupt Judge as Number 2.

Chreotha:

Yendi:
To my mind, "It's Your Funeral" is the most intricate, Yendi-like plot in
the series.

Orca:
"Many Happy Returns" features the most extended ocean sequence.

Teckla:
"Free For All" features a 'democratic' election.

Jhegaala:
"Once Upon A Time" features Number 6 being taken through all the stages of
his life.
"Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darling" features a different kind of
metamorphosis, a mind-swap.

Athyra:
"Fall Out", on account of being the most surreal?

Comments and argument welcome :-)
Alexx

The problem with unwritten laws is that they're so hard to erase.
   [Seen on a Nancy Button, www.nancybuttons.com]