[Dragaera] Marx in SF

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Jul 4 18:04:32 PDT 2009

Here's my fictional author - Karl Marx!

I was reading Charles Stross' Hidden Family books.   The protagonist
goes to two alternate dimensions - one where people could cross over
to our dimension, and built up a trade of items - including illegal
drugs.   She tried in a paragraph or two of the book to explain added
value of labor using Marx' name.  Their society was medieval with some
modern weapons brought across.

In the 2nd dimension, technology is close to ours of a century ago,
but with a strong monarchy.  In it Marx was hanged for being a
"leveler", advocating the economic and other advantages of a free
market and equality.

What other SF has explored Marx in reality and in alternatives?