[Dragaera] Jose Saramago, Paarfi

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Jul 12 22:18:02 PDT 2009

I've been noting examples of intrusive narrators and the use of
continued narrative time during digressions.  There's a nice one in
_The Gospel According to Jesus Christ_: on pg 161 of the ppb Pontiero
translation, Jesus is travelling to Jerusalem as a young man; he is
robbed by two thieves; he perhaps has profound thoughts afterwards;
and the narrator preemptively defends the possibility of such things
in the mind of a thirteen-year-old son of a carpenter two thousand
years ago, referring to Lacan and Cro-Magnon man in the process.
Then he says, "Distracted by these reflections, which are not entirely
irrelevant to the gospel we have been telling, we forgot, to our shame,
to accompany Joseph's son on the last leg of his journey to Jerusalem,
where he is just now arriving, penniless but safe."

The novel, incidentally, is well worth reading, full of beautiful
thoughts, if on occasion unsubtle or unremittingly savage and even
(so it appeared on first reading anyway) just random.  Also deeply sad
but at times very funny and once or twice hopeful despite the subject
matter and worldview.