[Dragaera] Jhegalla

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Aug 3 08:21:26 PDT 2009

>/Orca/, /Dragon/, and /Issola/ are my favorites so far, though. I
>didn't originally like Dragon but it grew on me, thematically, and
>perhaps /Jhegaala/ will do the same.

While I can appreciate _Jhegalla_ from a thematic point of view, I just
don't enjoy torture and it seems like Vlad has already been subjected to
enough of that in prior stories. While the unnecessariness of the whole
thing is part of the plot, sort of, the fact that it wasn't necessary just
made it sit poorly with me. I could never figure out why any of the
principals didn't just ask Vlad flat out who he was and what he wanted.

I guess the whole gimmick of falling into a powder keg of intrigue and
lighting a match just didn't work for me, when it wasn't ever clear that
there WAS a powder keg of intrigue until almost the end of the story. Then
Vlad's well-being seems to rest on the Duke being a semi-honorable man who
realizes he's made a mistake and feels bad about it instead of just feeling
like destroying the evidence and sweeping the whole thing under the table,
and Vlad somehow realizes this and COUNTS on that behavior.

In fact, while he offers up some pretty flimsy hand-waving to justify why
saving him was in the best interest of the people who had been ostensibly
responsible for setting him up for torture in the first place, I never
really bought into those justifications. It seemed to me that the interests
of everyone involved would be best served if Vlad conveniently vanished and
was never heard from again.

Other than that, while I wasn't expecting the "East through Vlad's eyes" to
be anything like a rehash of _Brokedown Palace_, I guess I expected to at
least get a glimpse at the contrast between the East and Faerie. In the end,
there wasn't really any contrast. The story could have quite easily been set
in the Empire or Greenaere/Elde Island with very little modification.

Meh. You can't please everyone and this is one of the few stories that
didn't please me.