[Dragaera] re Iorich???

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 3 20:21:33 PDT 2009

Well, since everyone wants to know my opinion, I thought
the series reached a peak with /Athyra/ and stayed in
the alpine zone with /Orca/ and /Dragon/.  The next
three books were back on the level of, say, /Teckla/.

--- On Mon, 8/3/09, Steve Rapaport <steve.rapaport at gmail.com> wrote:

> Funny you should say this.
>
> I feel disappointed by Dzur and Jhegaala too, not because
> the writing or
> story is poor in either one, but because anything after the
> climactic battle
> between gods and Jenoine and one-armed Easterner just
> seems, um, ante-climactic. [sic]

Before the climax?  That certainly applies to /Jhegaala/.

But the battle in /Issola/ was too silly for me to call
it climactic.  (They still fear Verra, do they?)  /Issola/,
/Dzur/, and /Jhegaala/ all had very Cool Stuff, but they
also had what felt like incidents that were just there
to keep the story going.

I too want to know what happens to everybody, but I also
want a secondary character as interesting as Cawti or
Savn.  Lady Teldra had interesting thoughts, but C. and
S. had both those and interesting feelings.

And don't get me wrong.  I got hooked with /Jhereg/ and
/Yendi/, which in my opinion are the two worst books in
the series.

Jerry Friedman