[Dragaera] re Iorich???

Jeffrey Kiok blackbird0 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 17:54:01 PDT 2009

It's been a while since I responded to the list, not that I ever did a
lot, but I wanted to say this:

What i like about the progression of the "Vladiad" (I saw someone call
it that, but I can't call it that with a straight face, sorry), is
that its progression is very human.  Vlad isn't in control of his own
destiny, and events come to him as they do, and he deals with them.
He's involved in crime, he gets divorced, he has an epic battle with
the gods.  Somehow, the temporally disjointed nature of the series I
feel makes Vlad seem more real, because you don't necessarily learn
about people in chronological order.

I guess what I'm saying to say is that when you meet a human being,
you don't necessary learn about them chronological order.  The concept
of the temporally linear "biography" is a very peculiar and artificial
concept.  When I meet someone, I don't learn about their birth, but
about what they're doing more recently, and it takes a lot of learning
to dig into their past, to gain a more complete understanding of
them.  You end up learning more about a person, most often, by
learning about their past, than learning about their present or their
future, but you don't necessarily learn about their past in a linear
manner.

And I feel that the manner in which Vlad's story unfolds more aptly
mirrors the human experience of knowing about person.

-Jeff