[Dragaera] Kindle and SKZB

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Dec 4 10:24:35 PST 2009

On Thu, December 3, 2009 12:19, Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood wrote:
> Yes, but most e-publishers don't have editors like TNH on board to help
> authors polish their work. That's part of what publishers get paid for.

It's a valuable (and expensive!) service.

> My understanding is that the rates of author payments for Kindle books
> is pretty much the same as for paper books, i.e. not much (especially
> for mass-market paperbacks).

Which is a rip-off, I strongly suspect.  The cost of printing and
distributing paper copies (including returns) is quite high, and that all
goes away.  Furthermore, the Kindle version is mostly done from
already-published books, meaning the copy-editing is already handled.  I'd
guess the author really should be seeing 50% to 75% of the Kindle book
prices (Amazon is paying for the network connection to the Kindle, and
they have to cover that plus other expenses).

Also, books sold to the Kindle are DRMed.  I won't touch any DRMed books
(well, unless I have a break at hand and can immediately convert it into
useful formats).

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info